We are excited to confirm that Youth Day will see us return to the V&A for our flagship event:
YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS POCKET MONEY MARKET YOUTH DAY 2018
Time: 10am – 3:30pm
Venue: V&A Waterfront –This year we will be outside between the Watershed and the Two Oceans Aquarium.
Activities: Come and see our creative Young Entrepreneurs EARN, LEARN & HAVE FUN. Each stall submits an advert, completes an accounting sheet and meets a number of POS requirements in order to gain a certificate. All traders take a Plastic Free Pledge too so no single use plastics are permitted. Some 40 traders from 4 to 16 years old at 26 fabulous stalls will compete for awards in various categories and overall Young Entrepreneur of the Day which will be announced at 2:30pm.
The Young Performers are ready to rock the V&A and we are excited to have ALAS Academy , Hartbeat Sounds and Junior Jive partnering. There will be 40 live performances by 70 young performers from 10:30am – 3:30pm including all genres of music, dance, comedy, magic and more. Join the fun with percussion and dance from Junior Jive and after the awards we have an open mic session.
Take our #PlasticFree Pledge and have some fun with Waste-Ed as we make upcycled musical instruments, eco bricks and learn about Waste2Wealth. Trash becomes cash!
Interactive talk from the Two Oceans Aquarium and meet their mascots too.
Join our Mandela Day Drive for Mdzananda Animal Clinic in Khayelitsha by purchasing a ticket for our raffle or making a donation at Erin’s Pet Emporium. We will deliver the donation to this incredible organisation om Mandela Monday 18 June.
Our #youthday2018 Theme: Make local products Buy local products Support local Artists Grow local Economies
Come and meet the team from the Allan Gray Entrepreneurial Challenge and join the 2018 online challenge.
Contact: Young entrepreneurs up to 16 years old please use this BOOKING FORM and performers (Groups may include performers up to 21 years old) please use this BUSKER BOOKING FORM Spaces are limited, please complete the correct form in detail so that we can process it first time. We trade2 – 6 times a month at various venues.
General enquiries and sponsorship: Linda Wilson email@example.com Ph: 0833840590 (a/h) Please note this is an after hours project.
Cost: Free Young Entrepreneurs Pocket Money Market is an NPO striving to address the long term youth unemployment challenge while offering an opportunity to earn immediate income. No mandatory fees apply, however a small rent is encouraged to teach the concept of overheads. Free workshops are offered every school holiday and start up assistance as well as ongoing support is available.
9:00am – Open for set up
10:15 Traders to be ready please & all Group 1 performers on site
10:15am – Short PMM team meeting and Wake up Shake up with Junior Jive: All crew, traders and Group 1 Performers.
10:30am Trading opens, music begins with schedule by ALAS
1:45pm Traders accounting sheets in & Trading closes
2:00pm Talk by Two Oceans Aquarium
2:15 Lucky Draw Winner of Mandela Day fundraiser for Mdzananda Animal Clinic by Erin’s Pet emporium
2:30 Group Song: Doo Be Doo
2:40 Entrepreneur of the Day Awards: 5 Categories & Certificates & goodie bags.
We have wonderful prizes sponsored:
Marketing & Branding: NOMU They will also give all 120 kids a little gift
Hospitality (Food products) : Cape Town Hotel School
Sustainability: Two Oceans Aquarium
Busker of the Day: Junior Jive
Overall Young Entrepreneur of the Day: Peak Academy
3-3:30pm Group performances (3 groups)
Traders: Pack down trading area while music continues, trading area can be used for dancing
3-4pm Open Mic for young performers
4:00pm Official closing, thank you’s and ends. Pack down.
Join the Facebook event https://www.facebook.com/events/1663955746991444/
Wish list – this is endless but here are the top contenders:
We would love to offer prizes to our award winners, we have 10 categories. If you would like to see the list and pick a particular area of entrepreneurship to sponsor please get in touch.
Transport: We run at around one third outreach and transport to the V&A is really expensive. I need to transport around 50 kids from Khayelitsha, Mitchells’ Plain, Ocean View and Masiphumelele. In the longer term there is campaign to fund a bus. These kids also need lunch so it would be amazing to give them R40 each to buy something at the market.
Partnership Invitation: Please get in touch if you have something that synergises or would like to join or assist this project in any way. This is our fourth year and there is so much more that can happen. Prizes and goodie bags are still needed. Fundraising or sponsorship would be amazing: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/give-the-pocket-money-market-wings-to-fly #everyoneiswelcome #bethechange
Check out last Year’s Youth Day from SABC TV3 here: https://youtu.be/OJxeGkIGwyE
The trader line up is already fabulous, we are very nearly fully booked already, please click through to theirs great ADVERTS and give them a like and share!
1. Erin’s Pet Emporium – Pet treats and accessories
2. DoggyLove – Dog Treats
3. Mega silly slime – Slime making kits
4. Made By Teens – Messages Jars, NutsBoutU Jars, Upcycled Jewellery;Desk Tidiers, JuJu, Raffle for DART Fundraiser, Fridge Magnets for DART fundraiser.
5. Beauty Arts&Crafts – Ceramics& Terrariums beautifully potted with succulents and Kokedama & Beautiful Sticker Art!
6. Little chef Miguel – Turkish delights
7. Lucky Amor – Lucky packets
8. Little B & Me – DIY craft box for kids. MyMiniBot by Beaurain – Build your own mini upcycled wooden robot kit and ready made Bots. Bangle Me Up by Kayla – Crafty DIY crochet jewelry packets and ready made crocheted bangles & handbag decorations.
9. Crafty Kidz – Wooden puzzles and crafts
10. Shimmer & Cyrus’ Snowglobes – Cyrus makes snowglobes from recycled glass jars and small plastic toys and other small toys he buys from kids on exchange groups or kids markets. Annabelle makes a variety of hand made gifts, room decor and other must have items that appeal to tweens and teens.
11. Plants n Stuff – 100% Natural bamboo straws, handmade and grown in Cape Town, with optional organic bags. Necklaces and bracelets made with shells, gemstones, metal pendants, lego and lots more. Water-wise cacti and succulents in a range of containers, mainly up-cycled and reused coffee cups and toilet paper rolls
12. GLIMMER TATTOOS AND BAGS GLIMMER TATTOO’S THAT ARE EVO FRIENDLY. HOME MADE BAGS
13. Lucky charms – Homemade clay charms plus chains/bracelets
14. Gabriel’s Mucky Stuff – Upcycled Goods
15. DIABOLO CHINESE YOYO DIABOLO CHINESE YOYO – THEY ARE MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA AND BRAZILIAN SWEETIES CALLED BRIDAGEIRO
16. The Facemaker – Facepainting
17. Soap Cellar – Natural farmhouse soaps, shampoo, shower gel, liquid hand soap, shaving cream, lip balms, body butter, pet shampoo – ie natural, green soap products.
18. Cook & Craft – Hair wraps and buffs, craft items, peanut brittle
19. O&K Trading – Veggie and herb plants, heirloom seeds , upcycled shopping bags
20. SA Cool Trading Kids – Preloved clothing, games, books & DVDs, fresh veg
21. Oh Fudge – Fudge
22. Yummy Amelie – Hand made peg dolls, baked goods
23. Healthy Treats by Giulliana – Organic vegan chocolate, gluten free muffins, Matts secret sauce, balanced-energy tea
24. Jazzies – Chock drops delights
25. Abbi K – mini chalk boards, mini trays, mini message boards,mini key rings and mini scrubs made will all natural ingredients with samples able to be tried on the day.
26. Something Simple – Gloves, book marks
Young Performers: 37 Awesome Acts:
Maxine Wells 12 Singing – vocals with backing track
Isabella Buckland – 10 Vocalist Cup Sung, Video in
Reuben Jansen van Rensburg / 15 Wide Variety, guitar & vocals
Timeon Jansen van Rensburg / 11 Wide variety vocals
Milisa & Thembi- violin Violin: Classical/folk
Erin – CLARINET Classical
Beauty Trio – Recorder Classical/fold
Rachel van de Vijver keyboard
Hanna Eyre 17 All genres, guitar
Ayanda Jewison, 10 years Voice
Keagen Pinkney 13years old Piano
Kiara Roberts Age 12 Singing
Georga De Beer 15 years old Singing and ukulele
Leah Bell-Leask ALAS Academy Guitar and vocal
Mia Francis Poole, age 12 Vocal, singing
Bowi Wijsenbeek 13 Singing and piano
Gabriela Webb 15 Pop,folk rock
Michaela Meth 13 Alas Academy Singing
Hector Nyama 11 / Alas Academy Singing
Tallulah Gray 17 Guitar and vocals solo
Haley Coetzee 13 Singing and playing the Ukelele
Sheldon Booth 15 Acoustic Guitar, with ALAS Academy
Morgan Christian 13 yrs old vocal performance
Leyya Haarhoff 14 Jazz singing – from Alas Academy
Taya Drinkwater 16 Jazzy RnB
Leah Hopper 16 Folk, Pop, Indie
Sebastian Goddard 18 Folk, Indie, Rock, Baritone Ukulele
Alex Peterson 17 Electric Guitar
Viljar Jorgenson 12 Piano
Luke Johnson 13 Piano
Cooper McNicol 13 Vocalist
Aidan Rose Maitland12 Vocalist
Erin Havemann 14 Vocals
Adam Garisch 14 Guitar and Vocals
The Campio Choral and Dance Society – Vocals, dance poetry
IMBIZO YETHU PRODUCTION DANCE “umxentso”and CHOIR
Ihlumelo lokhanyo lwethu Youth development Singing and traditional dancing group
Thank you to the V&A Waterfront for hosting us once again and to Forward Fund for their sponsorship, we are excited to have the Forward Fund Academy media students documenting this event too. Chattles have waived the hiring fee for the marquee which is incredible! The following sponsors contributed to our costs this year and we really appreciate their ongoing support and endorsement: Marnita Opperman Du Plessis and Curran Attorneys ,Terramnanzi Group Environmental Services & Smart Tech. False Bay Business Network donated 50 smart new trader security vests as well as funding. Our Awards sponsors are: Peak Academy, Nomu, Cape Town Hotel School, Junior Jive. Two Oceans Aquarium have sponsored not only an award but are joining us with an awesome presentation on the day and a generous contribution to costs! Our epic four hour stage production is produced by ALAS Academy and Hartbeats Sounds